The Christian Life Committee is charged to lead this church in applying the gospel to daily life in the areas of current social, moral and/or political issues. In order to fulfill the true purpose of the CLC, we have 3 areas of emphasis over the next several months.
- March – May The Persecuted Church
- June – August Human Trafficking
- August – October Voter Registration & Religious Freedom
Each of these issues needs our prayers. As you pray, please ask God to direct you as well as the CLC to action. Please follow the links to see details on the issue of emphasis.
The Persecuted Church
Facts about Persecution of Christians
1. More than 176,000 Christians die every year for their faith.
2. Persecution tends to rise with evangelistic effectiveness.
3. The top ten persecuting countries are: North Korea, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Iran, Maldives, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Iraq, Pakistan
4. Christian persecution is on the rise in the US. http://www.israelmyglory-digital.com/israelmyglory/20120304?pg=14#pg14
What Can You Do?
a. Add the persecuted church to your weekly prayer list.
b. Pray specifically that
(a) God would be glorified
(b) the great commission would be completed (which will, of course, initially increase persecution), pray particularly Peter’s prayer for boldness in the face of persecution (Acts 4:29)
(c) that the Holy Spirit would first purify and then comfort his church (Rev. 6:10-11).
2. Write letters. Go to Open Doors website (http://www.opendoorsusa.org/) to get specifics of writing letters and names of persecuted Christians who need to hear words of encouragement from their sisters and brothers in Christ.
3. Symbolic Suffering – make a personal sacrifice or inconvenience as a reminder of your brothers and sisters in the throes of suffering.
4. Stay informed – visit Open Doors website http://www.opendoorsusa.org/
5. Make your circle of friends aware of persecution around the world as well as in the US